5.29.2007

is anyone sick of hearing about my knees yet?

I'm proud to say that my knees are arthritis free! Is it sad that I feel like this is a major accomplishment? Because I really do.

You see, I've been told since I was, oh, let's say 16, that I would have arthritis by the time I was 30 (a randomly chosen age, sure, but still, I won't lie that it's been in the back of my mind, especially in the last few years). So to have the doctor look at my x-rays last week and tell me there weren't even any signs of arthritis in either of my knees filled me with so much pride and relief. The doctor even admitted he was totally shocked by the results, as he totally expected to see me on my way towards the big A. Now it's like a challenge: How long can I delay the arthritis? I'm optimistic and motivated; the longer I delay the arthritis, the longer it will be before I have to get my knees replaced. Aren't I too young to be talking about stuff like this?

Seeing my x-rays was pretty crazy. I mean, I knew I had screws in my knees, but, for some reason, I didn't expect them to look like, well, screws that you would use in some kind of home repair project. But there they were on the x-rays, all holding my knees together and stuff...I'm wondering if they just get their supplies from Home Hardware...so weird. It was interesting to learn that they stopped using screws like that in Ontario in the 80s/early 90s. Yeah, I guess we're a little behind in Saskatchewan...

We also went over all my knee-related files that were sent from Saskatoon, and that was SO STRANGE. It felt like he was reading my diary (even though I didn't write any of it) and commenting on my old life. It brought back so many memories and emotions, it was out of control. He commented that I went through a lot for a 15/16 year-old and, you know what, he was right. It all seemed normal at the time. He also commented on how much time I spent in physio, and he was right on that one too. My physiotherapist watched me grow up and I spent so much time in the Kin lab at the university (where he worked) when I was a teen that the guy who oversaw the lab recognized me at Chaz's grad. I can't even guess how many hours I spent with Bruce over the years, but I don't know what I would have done without him. How lucky was I to have such a strong and consistent support system?

So, anyway, I'm going back to see the doctor on Thursday so he can see my brace and possibly prescribe a new one. I was a little confused as to why he was bringing up the brace thing (especially one that might cost almost 2 grand!) so I was challenging it a lot. I kept insisting that my goal wasn't to ever play sports again, just to get back to the gym. He kept insisting that a brace would likely be useful for things like going to the gym, going for a hike, etc., and he was showing me pictures of the arthritis braces (you know, because I will have arthritis some day). Finally I realized that he was trying to tell me that my knee might never actually be stable again...what a painful moment that was...I was crushed. How depressing is it that my knee might keep giving out randomly for the rest of my life? I prefer to just focus on getting my legs crazy strong in hopes that will help keep my knees in place, but still...yikes!

So, where does all of this leave me right now? I've started physio and it's going well. I feel like he's going pretty easy on me, since he only gave me 4 new exercises to do, but I guess since I was already doing pretty much everything he would normally tell someone in my position to do, I made his job pretty easy. What I'm enjoying is the eletro-stimulus-thing he's got going on. I've never had it done before, but it's pretty fun, and I'm hoping after a few treatments it'll make a huge difference in increasing my muscle strength and reducing this pesky swelling.

Ok, that's it. I won't update on my knee for a while...this is more knee-related content than any blog needs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

I hope your knee gets better. Out of everyone I know, you would be the most likely person who would take the best care of themselves regarding an injury. I am supposed to do stretches every two days (so I can teach my neck how to hold up my head) but I have a hard time doing that. I hope arthritis is years away.

5/30/2007 2:06 a.m.  
Blogger bag marla said...

Aww, your neck! I had forgotten how not up to the challenge of holding up your head it is. Poor, little neck.

5/30/2007 7:59 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the kneeblog. It's informative, and I think you admit to more here than you do in person. You're so full of hubris in person. That and you're intimidating. And you punch me a lot more in person too, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, more kneeblog. It's a good way for me to keep track of you as I'm clearly to focused on being happy and having fun to ask about serious content like how your knee is doing when we see each other in person...

6/03/2007 11:03 p.m.  
Blogger Ryan said...

I have a solution to your knee problems: move to PEI. That is all I'm saying for now. You'll have to move here to find out more.

6/04/2007 3:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home