5.21.2007

knee update...

So I went to see a doctor on Thursday and he was great, I really liked him. I was happy to hear him say that he would be totally shocked if I had re-torn my ACL by walking. Good news!

He suggested it could have been super old scar tissue that broke, which is a pretty exciting idea that I had never considered...there's nothing wrong with that, unless, of course, it never works its way out of my joint and I need to go under the knife to get it out of there, but I don't even imagine that would be that bad, so here's hoping that's the case. He was also thinking it could be torn cartilage, especially if I'd had cartilage issues in the past, but after I showed him where it hurt he thought it might be meniscus. So, yeah, in sum, he has no idea, but that didn't surprise me because that's how knee injuries work...until you see what's going on inside it's super hard to know what the problem really is.

Given that he rules and is very thorough, he requested all of my old surgical records for both of my knees so he could know exactly what was done in the past. He also sent me to get both my knees x-rayed because he said I should be checking on the bones regularly to see how they are doing, given all the trauma my knees have experienced to date. I really like that he's going to check out both my knees, it'll be good to see how the left one is doing too. Maybe this knee injury was a good thing after all!

I'm going to see the doctor again this week, and I'm really looking forward to it. He really wants to send me for an MRI as well, but he wants to have all the information before he sends me for that (e.g., I think I have metal pins and screws in my knees, but I'm not 100% sure). He'll also be sending me off for physio, but not until he can check out all my records and x-rays and stuff. As he was leaving the office he was listing off some of the things I should be doing on my own for rehab. I nodded with each thing he listed, letting him know I was already doing it all, so he just laughed and said I clearly had things under control and left...it's nice to hear that from a doctor!

So, yeah, things are looking up for me. I'm walking better and better every day, although I'm still pretty slow and it still hurts. I kind of enjoy driving Chaz crazy by making him walk at my terribly slow pace though, so I might keep that up for a while just for fun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah!!! I am so glad you found a doctor that you like. Sometimes that is more than half the battle. And it sounds like he is going to get something done, even if he is not sure what yet. And just tell Chaz to take baby steps; God knows Donut and I walked slow with him for years!
PS. My last two comments have never posted, so I hope this one works.

5/22/2007 6:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home