2.12.2006

We realized that the garden was eating our entire day with its fabulousness, so we hurried off to eat more Udon for lunch. S-ko’s friend told us he was going to take us to an extra special Udon place this time—one that was famous for being so delicious. I was pretty pumped, because the Udon we had had for second breakfast was pretty good, so I was excited to try the extra famous Udon. Call me crazy, but considering this place was supposed to be famous, I was expecting something, well, um, kind of nice, I guess. I certainly didn’t expect to be stopping to eat Udon that was being sold from a car garage-come-kitchen, but that’s exactly what we did (and it wasn’t a nice car garage-come-kitchen either, I won’t lie). Oh Japan, you never cease to entertain even me!! So, yeah, basically these people bought an old, run-down garage, put some kitchen equipment in the back, bought a couple chairs and tables, and started selling Udon (not all day though. Nope, this place was only open from 11am-12:30pm, and 3:30-5pm or something ridiculous like that…I actually think that’s what made it so special…you had to try really hard to catch them when they were actually open). Anyway, what made this place so fun was that they just had all of this food out (like fish, eggs, tempura everything, etc.) and you just grabbed what you felt like putting in your Udon soup and then just tossed your money into a bucket (it was so mom-and-pop, I loved every second of it!). I enjoyed that lunch for all of us was, like, 200 yen or something silly like that (which is about $2)…we spent way more on drinks from the nearby vending machine, that’s for sure!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Uhm... why isn't Udon here in Canada?

On another note, your mom and pop stories remind me of The Right Spot here in Kingston. It certainly is. The Right Spot that is. It's amazing and cheap and run by an elderly couple. And someday I'll have to document its goodness. But not today. Today I'm busy reading Marla's blog.

2/13/2006 11:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home