2.12.2006

After that we drove out to Kompire Shrine, which, according to the little sheet S-ko gave me, is one of the oldest and most popular shrines in Japan. At first I enjoyed that this shrine made you work to see it…if you wanted to get a glimpse of it you had to join the masses in climbing exactly 785 steps to get to the top. After stair, oh, I dunno, 500, the whole working to see the shrine thing was getting a little old. Also, once we finally got to the top, I was a little disappointed. I mean, I wanted to be really excited about it, but, well, it looked like pretty much every other shrine/temple I’d already seen...oh well, the view was fabulous. And, in retrospect, I guess it’s a good thing that I didn’t find the shrine super crazy exciting, because after being at the top for about 2 seconds, S-ko informed us that, because we had taken so long to do everything else, we were running a little late and needed to be down at the bottom of the shrine in 15 minutes or we would be late for our next appointment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good thing stairs are easier to go down than up.


Your story reminds me of my experience in climbing the gianormous hill when I was lost in the countryside. I wanted to find out what was at the top. I was exhausted, more than a little jetlagged, and yes dehydrated. I plodded on to the top and when I got there all I saw was essentially some large slab of rock with some pillars. I was so underwhelmed I actually made an audible moan of disgust. To prove to myself that there was something worth seeing that MUST be better, I continued up the hill into the forest (where perhaps the forest monks had constructed what would surely be the largest forest shrine that no one had ever seen in the world). Sadly this never occurred. I DID manage to traipse through about six million spiderwebs and never saw a damn thing! The lesson I didn't learn that day? Japan makes you think there's going to be a big amazing shrine EVERYwhere, but they lie. It's okay, I still love you Japan. And that's officially the longest comment I've ever left.
Man, the adjective for Kilometres today? Typey.

2/13/2006 11:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home