11.11.2005

Tokyo-ho!

A while back Chaz and I went to Tokyo for a weekend to visit my friend X-tina. Traveling within Japan is pretty expensive, so we decided to live it up and fly, as it was only slightly more expensive to fly than to take the train (and it saved us so much time it’s not even funny).

I found it interesting how relaxed the security was at the Okayama airport. We didn’t need ID to pick up our tickets or board the plane, which seemed so weird to me…it’s funny that not too long ago that’s just how it was everywhere. They also scanned people’s checked luggage at these tiny portable X-ray stations, and if the bags were ok they put a little sticker over the zipper of the suitcase and gave it back to the person so that they could take it somewhere else to be loaded onto the plane (does that seem like a questionable practice to anyone else??).

As we boarded the plane I was shocked at how big it was. I was expecting a little propeller plane or something, but instead we were on a plane that was bigger than the plane that flew me to Japan—and it was full. Madness.

The ride started out ok, but what I didn’t know was that there was some typhoon action in and around Tokyo that day. Now I’m usually pretty calm and cool on airplanes and not too much phases me, but apparently that was only because I had never actually experienced serious turbulence before. This was out of control. There was actually a point where it was so bad that almost everyone on the plane yelled out “Ohhh!” simultaneously (I did it too, I couldn’t help it. It’s hard not to yell when you feel like you’re plummeting towards the earth). And to make things even more exciting my motion sickness decided to kick in. Giddy up! You can imagine how happy I was to learn that we’d be spending an extra 20 minutes in the air due to poor landing conditions. Joy!! So there I was, sitting up as tall as possible in my seat, taking deep breaths, clenching the arm rests for dear life, and repeating “you’re not gonna puke” over and over again to myself (when I wasn’t “oowing” and “ahhing” because of the turbulence, of course). I looked over to Chaz in hopes that he would be able to comfort me somewhat, but alas there was no comfort to be had as he was SOUND ASLEEP. Yes, you read that right, he was out cold. It’s hard not to feel totally pathetic when you’re a complete mess and the person beside you is sleeping like a baby. I was not impressed.

Anyway, I’m happy to report that we landed safely (I seriously wanted to give the pilot a massive hug for not killing us all) and I managed not to lose my breakfast (yay me!). Getting off the plane was one of the most exciting things I have ever done…who knew sitting still on the ground could feel so amazing??

3 Comments:

Blogger chaz said...

i did wake up long enough to ask if you were ok. i did the good boyfriend thing.

11/11/2005 8:01 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

My question is: Where's your bottle baby?


And Chaz, way to sleep through turbulence! I did the same thing once.

11/17/2005 4:59 p.m.  
Blogger bag marla said...

i've always hated you, km! *shakes fist*

11/17/2005 7:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home