11.11.2005

i (heart) s-ko!

One of the things that has made my time in Japan especially amazing and fantastic are all of the wonderful people I've met here. One of these fabulous people is S-ko. I met S-ko through the International Centre here in Okayama. She posted a message stating that she was interested in meeting someone who spoke English, and I saw said posting and e-mailed her to see if she wanted to go for coffee. It was one of the smartest things I've done in a long time.

S-ko is probably one of the most shy human beings I've ever met, which is totally part of her charm. She's also insanely caring and ridiculously generous. She and I are currently in the midst of a gift-off, but she's totally kicking my ass. She started off by giving me grapes and edamame (soybeans, an insanely popular snack here), just because giving gifts is what she does. I countered the next week with some momijimanju (some little maple leaf-shaped, deliciousness-filled cake-type treat thingies) that I picked up while in Hiroshima (really, you can get these things anywhere, but the ones from Hiroshima/Myajima are special because they are shaped like maple leaves, so apparently that makes them extra super delicious and crazy exciting...such is my understanding, anyway), but then without batting an eyelash she replied with some bookmarks she got for me while she was in Kyoto that weekend. Grrr! I sure did underestimate her. But no more joking around, next week I'm SO upping the ante! Mark my words, I WILL emerge from this gift-off victorious!

So where was I? Oh, right, the other day S-ko decided to leave work early (she hates her job and her boss wasn't in so she jumped on the opportunity to ditch work...she kills me!) because she wanted to take me somewhere. She didn't tell me where she wanted to take me, just that she wanted to take me somewhere by car. Now normally I don't just get into cars with near strangers (we've only really met twice) but, hey, I'm in Japan, so why the heck not?!

S-ko took me to Shizutani School, which, to quote the pamphlet, is "the oldest free public school in the world." The school dates back to 1666 and the buildings all have these really great roofs made out of Bizen-yaki (pottery made in the Bizen area)...it was pretty exciting. The school isn't usually open at night, but for 10 nights every fall they set up all of this really exciting lighting everywhere and open the school up to the public. It was so beautiful it's hard to even describe...who knew fall leaves could be so exciting when lights were shined on them at night? Not me, that's for sure.

Below are some pictures, but none of them really capture how amazing it looked that night. Wow is all I can say. Yay for beautiful and exciting Japan and yay for S-ko for surprising me with such a great little road trip!! I'm so spoiled (and I'm not complaining!).

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I want an S-ko!

... or at least someone to have gift off's with. I think you may have invented something here! Let the gift-offs begin!

11/17/2005 6:28 p.m.  
Blogger bag marla said...

***this just in, gift-off update***

i made s-ko a cheese cake and gave it to here last week when we met and she just about exploded with happiness, so i think it's safe to say i'm winning now. i know she'll reply with something fabulous next week, but i'll be ready!

gift-offs are fun, i highly recommend them!

11/17/2005 7:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home