11.24.2005

they just think of everything here...


One thing that I think is really cool about Okayama is that most of the major streets have these yellow lines on them so that people who are blind can walk down the street without the help of a seeing eye dog. Apparently this was developed by an Okayaman (is that what people from Okayama are called?? It is now, apparently) and it's so simple and so smart...why isn't this everywhere?? The lines are raised and have a pattern on them. Whenever there is a corner or a turn the pattern changes (e.g., from vertical lines to small circles) so people know they have to turn or stop. How cool is that?? The only problem is that sometimes people park their bikes over the lines, but I suppose that's where canes come in handy. I tried using it with my eyes closed and it I didn't get run over, nor did I run into anything, so I was impressed and it has my seal of approval! Give it up for Okayama!!

2 Comments:

Blogger chaz said...

yes, I think it is funny when people park their bikes or put signs on the blind path because they clearly want blind people to trip and fall or they do it just to be jerks. really, Japan is full of jerks (just kidding).

11/24/2005 10:56 a.m.  
Blogger Ben Norris said...

They have this is Korea as well, although I never really knew what it was. I totally thought it was the area that marked out where you would get mowed down by motorcycles flying by on the sidewalk... if the motorcycles actually followed some sort of pattern... which they don't.

12/30/2005 12:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home